What is a sealant?
- A thin protective coating made from dental materials that we attach to the main chewing surfaces on the back molars.
Why do you recommend sealants?
- They’ve been shown to reduce the risk of tooth decay on the back molars by almost 80%.
- They can help prevent existing decay from becoming a cavity.
When do you recommend getting sealants?
- Ideally, we recommend getting sealants on your adult molars when they first erupt, usually around 6 years old.
- Then we also recommend getting them as your 12-year molars erupt. This ensures that your permanent molars have the most protection possible for a healthy start.
How long do sealants last?
- This varies based on each child. We will check your sealants at each visit and make a recommendation for reapplication as necessary.